Hi everyone, hope you’re all enjoying your weekend. I’m back today with another remake post. I’m going to be honest with you, I’m having the worst remake kick. All I want to do right now is to play with the patterns I already own. I am not exactly on a self-imposed pattern ban, but I’m just having too much fun playing with old patterns 😀 I hope you’ll enjoy the posts as much as I enjoy (re)making.
A while ago, I had this idea of making a series of posts about small makes, I mean for garments that only require more or less 1m of fabric. I love these 1m patterns, they allow me to get those luxurious fabrics without breaking the bank. But I don’t want to just make a list of these patterns, I want to test them too. And so I bought the New Look 6217 to start with. I have done a full review of this pattern here where you can also see how I bound the neckline and armholes with shop-bought bias tape. This time I made two with a few tweaks. So let’s get into the deets of these remakes, eh?
The pattern itself only consists of two pieces, yes, TWO! Front and back, and some bias binding. Depending on your size, this pattern requires about 1m of fabric. I made mine in size 14 with finished bust being 40″ as I wanted that extra ease, and I managed to squeeze one out of about 70cm of fabric. So, perfect for leftover too.
The fabrics I used are both Atelier Brunette’s viscose crepe that I purchased from a new favourite shop of mine, Sister Mintaka. She’s got all the gorgeous fabrics. OMG! *heart eyes*. I saw the Dune Night fabric being paired with the Melba on AB’s Insta stories, I thought I’d try pairing the Melba 6217 with my Winslow culottes. As you could see from previous post, I think they go quite nicely. I also bought 2m of the Melba crepe bias tape for the necklines, I just did tiny hem on both tops’ armholes.
To be honest, I wasn’t sold on the colour of the Melba at first, but the more I wear it the more I love it, isn’t that strange?
From my wearable toile version of this top, I found the fit was almost perfect, the neckline was a bit too wide for me, though I didn’t see any gaping. So for this version, I took in 1″ from the front neckline and another 1″ from the back. And for the Dune Night version I also shortened the top by 1″ and removed the centre back seam. The original pattern actually calls for a closure in the back, but I find the neckline to be wide enough to pull this top over my head. So I removed the seam allowance on the centre back and cut on fold instead.
I do quite like the neckline being less wide on these tops compared to my original version. Here’s how I did it:
- Draw the stitching line on the pattern around the neckline and armhole-side seam.
- Draw a line from the neckline to the armhole-side seam through the stitching lines (pink line).
- On the neckline’s stitching line, mark 1/2″ from the line just drawn – not on the edge of the pattern piece. Draw another line from the pivot point to the 1/2″ mark. (blue line)
- Cut from the edge of the neckline all the way to the stitching line on the armhole-side seam, but NOT THROUGH it. Then make another cut coming in from the edge of armhole-side seam to the stitching line, again not through it (this cut will be about 1.3 or 1.4 cm long, as the seam allowance is 1.5cm). So there’s still a bit of paper left uncut as an achor or pivot point.
- Slide and overlap the shoulder area to the 1/2″ mark.
- Smooth the neckline.
It doesn’t look like a lot, but I think it is quite effective. On the toile version the neckline was too wide that my bra straps would show. I am happy to report that I don’t have such problem with these two. I also was worried that if I changed too much it would affect the balance of the garment, I could end up with the top of the armhole/sleeve hem raised up too much, or maybe I’d create a black hole, who knows? I wasn’t going to take that chance. You’re welcome.
In all seriousness though, I’d highly recommend matching these fabrics with this pattern, it was like they were meant for each other!
I hope you enjoyed this remake post, I have a feeling that this pattern will make another appearance on my blog as I love it so much! I think this is a very nice simple tee that’s also perfect for hacking… in fact, I am currently sketching out ideas to hack this. 😀
That’s all from me for this week, I hope you have a great weekend and week ahead. See you again soon. Happy stitching.
PS: Some of you may have seen the unfinished version of this post popped up on your feed last week, apologies for that, I was having a bit of tech problems. So typical of me. *facepalm*