Hi everyone, how was your week? Great, I hope. I’m here today to talk about my new top, the Faura from Pauline Alice patterns. But first, I’d like to say a huge thank you to everyone who visited my blog and read my Jenny overalls review, and a very special thank you to Helen who shared my Jenny on her Wednesday Weekly post. Wow! I was blown away when I saw my blog stats. 😀
Now, let’s talk about my new top.
I actually was planning to make the top AND the dress as I bought 3.5m of the fabric. But it turned out that this pattern uses more fabric than I’d expected, and after cutting the top I realised I didn’t have enough fabric for the dress. Ah well….
The Faura is a top and dress pattern designed for light to medium weight fabrics. It comes in sizes 34 to 48 and like most – if not all – of her patterns, Faura was drafted for B cup. The top/dress has princess seams and waist fastening on each side creating a (sort of) peplum shape. The pattern doesn’t have side seams. So there are four vertical seams on the bodice; two princess seams in the front and two in the back, and there are two side pieces to make up the whole bodice. Very interesting design, I love it!
I bought the pattern in PDF format, I don’t think it is available as printed paper pattern yet.
I know, I know… it’s the middle of Winter here and what’s worse is the temperatures actually dropped even lower this week (we even had snow yesterday!) and I chose to sew with viscose challis *face palm*. The truth is I got the fabric from John Lewis during the Christmas/January sale, so I thought why not, eh?
The fabric is 140cm wide and I used about 1.7m of it thanks to the princess cut/seam. The colour is more of very dark navy than black, but I did use black thread to sew this top and it is almost invisible on the topstitches. If you’re interested in this particular fabric, at the time of writing, you can still get it from Lamazi Fabrics.
I made a couple of changes to the pattern:
- I interfaced the facings. The pattern doesn’t call for interfacing, but because my fabric is very lightweight and drapey I thought a bit of structure was needed.
- I finished the princess seams almost like a flat-felled seam. Due to the notches on the curved seams, I thought zigzag finish would be a bit tricky to do. So I followed the instructions to notch the front and back bodice curves and after stitching them, I then cut the notched seam allowance close to the seam, cut the unnotched seam allowance to 7mm and finished it with zigzag stitches. I then pressed the seam allowances to one side so that the unfinished edge is enclosed and topstitched it. This way the raw edges are safely hidden.
The sewing process and finished garment.
I really enjoyed sewing this top. The process was pretty much straightforward and relatively easy. I found the instructions very easy to follow, the pattern well drafted and the finished garment fits well. As I mentioned above, the pattern was drafted for a B cup so I didn’t need to do any major adjustments. I have made three of Pauline Alice’s patterns before (the Rosari skirt – I must remember to write a review on this pattern, the Turia dungarees, and the Romero shorts/trousers) and I loved all three in terms of fit and how the patterns were drafted. But I’d never tried her patterns that involved the shoulders and bust before.
With this top, the shoulder seams sit right, no weird gaping or pulling, or dragging lines. Hurray! I went with size 42 (my measurements actually fall in between size 40 and 42, I like to err on the larger side and I think I made the right call on this one). I can imagine this top getting a lot of wear when the temperatures get a bit warmer.
I realise that when it comes to the fit of a garment on your body, it’s kind of a hit and miss. I mean, because everyone’s body is different, what works for me may not work for others and vice versa. That’s one of the perks of making your own clothes, I guess, you know your own body and you adjust the pattern pieces to work for you. But when you find the pattern company whose patterns just work with your body on the get go (excluding shortening/lengthening) it feels soooo good! Doesn’t it? It gives you the confidence to go ahead and try their other patterns. (I’m eyeing the Aldaia dress!)
As you can see, I did use D rings and I think replacing the rings with fabric ties instead would have been better. My fabric is a bit too lightweight and the metal is too heavy for it. But, it works for its purpose. The back detail was surprisingly not fiddly to do. In fact the only thing I found fiddly was the fabric, so slippy and delicate.
The only thing I may change for my next Faura top would be to shorten it a bit, not cropped length, just a bit above my hips. I have paired my Faura top with my Clementine denim skirt and flats. I imagine it would be lovely paired with skinny jeans too!
Yep, I’m giving this pattern 5 stars. I would definitely recommend it for a quick and satisfying project. I put the sleeveless dress version on my list to sew this year (Summer), maybe in chambray or lightweight denim.
I also love the adjustable waist fit, on the days when I feel bloated I can just loosen the ties.
I hope you enjoyed this post and found this review helpful. Thank you for spending a bit of your time with me today, enjoy your weekend, I’ll see you again soon.