Firstly, apologies for not posting last Saturday, I’ve been under the weather the past two weeks, but last week was the worst as I hurt my back so bad that I could hardly sit and stand up. I’m still not 100% yet, but getting there. 🙂
So, a while ago I reviewed Tilly’s second book Stretch! and I made the Joni dress in this post. As we’re now in the colder months I thought it was high time to revisit this amazing book. Yes, it is such an amazing book; bursting at the seams with gorgeous patterns and techniques. If you’ve never sewn knits before, get this book, you won’t regret it. This time I made two garments from the same pattern; the Freya.
The Freya is close-fitting sweater or A-line dress with mock neckline. The sleeves come in three choices for length; short, elbow, or full length. Of course, Tilly also offers hacking options.
The pattern, as all of hers that I’ve tried both from the previous book (Love at First Stitch) and individual ones, is very easy to follow with lots of tips, techniques and photo references. And most important of all, I think, is well drafted. I didn’t change a thing, the shoulder seams sit right, the fit is great and I actually love the length of the skirt on the dress (I’m just over 5’2″ and I went with the intended hem length).
This pattern is very easy to sew, and even that is an understatement. One thing I did to make the sewing process even easier is when working on the collar(s), after pinning I hand-basted it to the neckline using ballpoint hand-sewing needle. I had both collars done on first go, in fact the only time I reached for my seam ripper when sewing both garments was when removing the basting thread.
The fabrics recommended for this pattern are sweater knits, rib knits, jersey, or ponte roma with at least 25% crosswise stretch. My fabric is ponte roma that I got from Girl Charlee UK, they were having big sale during Black Friday so I took advantage of that. The fabric has a substantial amount of stretch to it. Unfortunately I can’t give you a direct link to the fabric as they have run out of this one, but they do have nice selection of ponte roma there – and other knits.
This fabric is 140cm wide, I bought 3m of it. I thought I would need all of it for the dress, it turned out I actually had plenty leftover, enough to make another Freya dress in fact. But I wasn’t going to make the same dress twice with the same fabric, so I made the second one the sweater version. I’m glad I did, because I love wearing them both. As the fabric is mainly polyester, it is quite warm to wear.
I made mine in size 5. The pattern has 2″ negative ease on the bust and 1″ for the waist.
The dress took me a day to finish, so did the sweater. When I was making the garments, I was still struggling with back pain that prevented me from sitting down for more than an hour at a time, so even with that I managed to finish this project pretty quickly and be happy with the result. More than happy to be honest. As I said, the fit is great – you remember how I struggled with my Myosotis, getting into this project after a very fussy project like that restores my sewjo back to full swing.
The Freya is the ultimate Winter wear for me. I hate draught/cold air around my neck, always gives me headache afterwards. The mock neckband and roll neck hack on Freya are perfect for this. The cowl neck version has lower neckline but obviously you’ll have a cowl to keep your neck warm. I think I’ll try that version for my next Freya.
Obviously. This is one of her best patterns I think. I can not fault this one at all, it’s simple yet elegant and versatile. I can see myself making a lot more Freyas in the future.
So, that’s all from me for today. I hope you enjoyed this post. Thank you so much for spending time with me today, hope you have a lovely weekend and week ahead. See you again next week.